WHAT TO EXPECT
Four Training Facilities
Across the Country
All students can attend training in Iowa after obtaining their CDL permit from their home state.
Four Week Training Schedule Overview
A quick look at the days ahead (schedule subject to change):
- Check-in & paperwork
- Drug screening & DOT physicals
- Classroom learning, reviews & testing
- 3 Tests; air brake, combination, general knowledge
- Pre-trip inspection
- Road skills practice
- Backing training for straight, offset & alley docking
- Continued backing practice
- Coupling/uncoupling practice
- Environment, situation, & emergency training
- DOT testing
- New driver orientation
- Hiring paperwork & contracts
- Lead driver assignment
- ID issued
- Hit the road! — Start driving & earning with CRST
You must have the following important documents with you:DOWNLOAD & PRINT PDF CHECKLIST
- Valid United States driver’s license.
- Valid social security card. In order to be valid the card must be in original and good condition. It cannot be laminated or be a photocopy.
- Acceptable immigration documentation if you are not a U.S. citizen.
- Any employment documentation required to complete the CRST Expedited driver application (i.e. unemployment records, tax forms for self-employment, notarized letters, etc.).
- Voided check for transfer to your bank account, if you want to enroll in direct payroll transfer.
- State-certified birth certificate* in good condition (no rips or tears) and no expired passports.
*If the name on your birth certificate does not match your driver’s license you will need to provide proof of name change via documentation (i.e. marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.).
What to Pack
We suggest you bring the following personal items with you:DOWNLOAD & PRINT PDF CHECKLIST
- 5-7 days of clothes including jeans, sweats, short- and long-sleeve shirts, coat, winter clothing if necessary.
- Work boots or treaded hiking shoes. Sandals, flip flops, cowboy boots, and smooth-bottom shoes are not allowed!
- Work gloves, sunglasses, battery-powered alarm clock & flashlight.
- Personal toiletries needed for your time in the truck.
- Bedding for the truck including sleeping bag, pillows, blankets, twin size sheets.
- Notebook, pen, etc.
- Medications, if you are currently taking any.
- Money for personal items. This would include laundry, evening and weekend meals, and any other items you need to purchase while in training.
- All drivers are provided with complimentary breakfast and lunch during the weekdays.
Need to Knows
What to expect and how to prepare:DOWNLOAD & PRINT PDF CHECKLIST
- DOT physical exam, DOT drug screen and an agility test will be conducted on the first day of school.
- 20% will be classroom time and 80% will be driving time.
- Expect to be busy on a full-time basis, Monday-Friday and possibly weekends, depending on your training location.
- Be attentive and take good notes.
- Keep a positive, professional attitude – afterall, you’re on your way to a new career with CRST Expedited!
ONCE YOU BECOME A CDL-A DRIVER YOU GET TOTAL REWARDS
Increase every month
Affordable medical, dental & life insurance
Competitive match plan
Trucks & equipment
Layover & detention
Average trucking miles in the industry
No-touch, 80% drop-and-hook freight
World-class lease purchase program
“I can’t describe how much I love this job. Seeing this beautiful country from the open road is incredible. I always knew I wasn't going to work a typical 9-5 in an office, so I love the freedom that CRST provides. I hope to be an owner-operator in the next few years, but for now, I love the stability and income of driving a truck.”
“My mother was so proud of me after I completed my CDL and started driving with CRST. In her day, women didn't drive trucks, and she loves telling her friends about “her daughter, the trucker.” CRST is such a diverse team. We come from all backgrounds and ways of life. Driving with them has taught me to forget limitations and reach for my dreams.”
“After leaving the military, truck driving with CRST gave me the freedom of the open road and the benefits to continue supporting my family. It’s one of the best decisions I've ever made. Now, I'm looking forward to owning my own truck through their lease purchase program.”
“You don’t need to go to college to have a good job, and CRST provided me with the means to support a growing family. No more minimum wage retail jobs or getting laid off for no reason. No more worrying about shifts and pinching my pennies. This job is hard for sure, but there are many rewards.”